Thursday 9 May 2013

Moccasin Making

On April 29th and 30th both grade 7 classes learned how to sew and bead moccasins. My mom was kind enough to drive from Prince Albert, 3 and a half hours away, to teach us. It was interesting to have my mom in the classroom with me. She has never seen me teach and I was a little nervous to have her here. She was also nervous about talking in front of so many people, but she did an amazing job. The two of us with the help of the master mind of this project, Andrea, put in 10 hours over the weekend just cutting and getting the materials ready for the students. She also put in hours on Sunday and Monday night sewing a pair of moccasins for the school's principal. She also taught me how to bead and sew before we started teaching the students. I really enjoyed this part the best because I got to spend some quality time with my mom.
Being involved with this project was quite an experience to have almost 40 students learning this intricate art. We started with learning how to bead and each student was able to pick a design and colors of beads. At the beginning students found this task frustrating trying to get the beads to stay straight and to create their chosen design.
At the end of two days two students completely had their moccasins made, fur and all. There were quite a few students who only have to sew fur on to have a finished pair. These students are staying in at lunch time with me to work on their moccasins.

I would like to thank all the students for their hard work during this project, Andrea for getting grants from SIGA and Saskatchewan Lotteries Community Grant, the other teachers and EAs who helped out and especially my Mom for working so hard. This may just become a tradition!

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment